Tuesday, June 28, 2016

6/28/16

What the heck is Political Psychology anyway?  It's the study of human behavior in a political setting.  It looks at questions like: why are some people conservatives and some liberals? Why are some of us more vigilant and others more open to new experience? Why, when the approval rating of Congress is as low as it's ever been, do we keep sending the same folks back to Washington? Do liberals and conservatives have different personalities?  Do they make decisions in different ways?  And what could this all mean for the elections in November?

This is cool stuff, fascinating stuff, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

My qualifications: A Ph.D. in psychology, 40+ years in academia, some post doctoral study at UCLA in their political psychology department, and a renewed fascination with the field over the last two years.  So, my opinion here, backed up whenever possible with summaries of relevant research, and some thoughts on what might be going through voters' minds as we stagger our way to November.

Politically, I'm a moderate liberal, but I like to look at what and why people behave rather than shooting down a particular viewpoint. Thoughtful criticisms are very welcomed.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Link to next blog.:


18 comments:

  1. Looking forward to some very interesting blogs. Another topic of interest might be Conservative parents who raise Liberal children. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vice versa (ala Family Ties) could be interesting too....

      Delete
    2. Yes, I would be interested in that but just the opposite, liberal minded parents whose children grow up to vote conservative. Why?????

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic idea. The psychologically oriented panel we attended was one of my favorites. I'm in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The subject of fear or FUD is very interesting. Can't wait to read your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had many of the same questions, and look forward to some explanations! I live for "why" LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  6. With two more elections this year, and weeks of early voting to work, I'm looking forward to any insight to help in dealing with our vastly divergent voting public!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience, fortitude, and a couple of Paxil? Seriously, your job is a heavy responsibility. Voting and jury duty, are the only two direct applications of democracy that most of us will ever experience.

      Delete
  7. Certainly a fascinating year for such a discussion. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am fascinated by theories that one's political identity is somewhat hardwired. Looking forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Isn't that wild! We know that voting behavior tends (tends, people) to run in families, but everyone thought it was learned. Now we're finding out that conservative and liberal brains are different, suggesting the possibility that at least some of this is inherited!!!

      Delete
  9. This blog sounds really interesting and I am looking forward to it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thumbs up from me! I've subscribed (I think....)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally geeking out over here. Can't wait to see what you do with this!

    ReplyDelete