Tuesday, July 12, 2016

7/12/16

No, this isn’t political psychology, but it’s so cool I thought I’d blog about it anyway. The next blog will be back on topic. Stay tuned.

The Lipstick Effect

During 2008, a time when the economy was suffering record declines in sales, L’Oreal, the world’s largest cosmetics company, still posted an increase in earnings. Now that’s weird right? 

Apparently not.

 
In times of economic stress, women will devote some of their very limited resources to improving their appearance. This is called the Lipstick Effect. So even though women will cut back on most non-essential items, they will spend more, not less, to make themselves more attractive.  Why would they do that?

The general theory has been that this is driven by evolutionary motives: women facing hardships will focus on reproductive growth rather than personal growth. That means finding a partner who can provide food and security for her and their children. And since men are driven to find mates that are physically attractive, a successful strategy means being as attractive as possible. Ergo: The Lipstick Effect.

However, the latest research, that popped up in my inbox this morning, suggests that women have additional reasons to look good in times of stress: their jobs.

When people appear more attractive, they are also seen as more competent and more intelligent.  With more and more women in the workplace, and especially during times of economic stress, even a little edge can make the difference between finding or keeping a job or even getting a promotion. So money spent on makeup is actually money well spent.

Whatever is driving this, when the economy tanks, the cosmetics industry thrives. I should have bought stock in L’Oreal!

9 comments:

  1. So my need for retail therapy is driven by biology? Sweet! ;) Is there any difference between single women and married women on this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good question! The researchers found that the relationship between marital status and the lipstick effect was non-significant.

      Delete
  2. Interesting! When I'm depressed, I'm drawn to socks (that would be retail therapy on a budget), but I can think of times when I've been subconsciously drawn to mascara.... Thanks Ms. Artquest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! I'm familiar with research that showed an uptick in purchases of lipstick during the Great Recession. The take there was that women could boost their feelings of self worth with minimal expenditure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasnt there a bit in the musical Annie where Mrs. Hannibal refers to people selling beauty products door to door? I wonder if that was a real reference.

      Delete
  4. I loved my grey wings, acquired while I had my long term job, but after I was prematurely retired, I started dyeing my hair to go out job hunting.

    ReplyDelete